This is the one I wrote this for people who directly report to me.
Here are some things that may help us work together better
- My primary job function is to serve you.
- I’ll advocate for you and our team externally.
- I’ll try to set context for the work that you do.
- If you have ambitions or desires of any sort, I’ll do what I can to help you achieve them.
- If you need to talk to me, even if we don’t have anything scheduled for awhile or if I look like I have a lot of meetings, ping me directly and we’ll find time.
- My background is startups and small companies. I primarly studied math in school, though I do have formal CS training via coursework.
- My inbox is my to-do list. I’m aiming to read all of it and act on it, if
- This includes MRs, design documents, Jira mentions, and one-off emails.
- I’m working on getting better at this. In the past, I let things slip through unintentionally. Shoutout to Will for the help.
- Two-way, honest communication is extremely important to me.
- I’ll try to proactively give you feedback in real time of my thoughts regarding your work.
- You can ask me about pretty much anything and I’ll either answer you or tell you explicitly that I can’t answer you. I won’t lie to you.
- You would be doing me a huge favor if you let me know when I do something that hinders your ability to do your job.
- I’ll do my best to relay anything I come across in meetings where I represent our team.
- I’m bad at giving praise. This is something I’m working on.
- Here are some things to know about one-on-ones.
- You set the agenda.
- I’ll set something on the calendar, but you can move it to whatever time mutually works.
- I’d like to shoot for a cadence of once every 2 weeks.
- My default for FTO is to hit approve. The only thing I ask is that you make sure your teammates know you will be gone. Setting an “Out of office” event for yourself on Google Calendars is a pretty effective way to do this.
- Process is mutable and should serve our purpose of getting stuff done. I’ll be keeping an eye on whether our process is serving us well. Feel free to provide feedback, as well.
- I’ve got a kid that sometimes makes my schedule wonky. This is also the usual reason I am working from home when I do.
If you find that I’m not true to my word on any of these points, please let me know.
If you feel like I should change some of this or that I’ve missed a point, feel free to either let me know or send me an MR.